1 a line of people or vehicles waiting for something [syn: waiting line]
2 (information processing) an ordered list of tasks to be performed or messages to be transmitted
3 a braid of hair at the back of the head v : form a queue, form a line, stand in line; "Customers lined up in front of the store" [syn: line up, queue up]
- A line of people, vehicles or other objects, in which the person or object at the front end is dealt with first, the one behind is dealt with next, and so on, and which newcomers join at the opposite end.
- A waiting list or other means of organising people or objects into a first-come-first-served order.
- A data structure in which objects are removed from one end, called the head, and added to the other, called the tail, in an analogous manner to a queue in the sense above. This method of queueing being called first-in first-out is often abbreviated to FIFO.
- A queue having the head and the tail at the same end; a LIFO queue, a stack.
- A hairstyle in China during the times of the Emperors. It was a long braid in the back of the head with a bald part in the front.
line of people
- join a queue, join the queue
put oneself at the end of a queue
arrange into a queue
Queue can mean:
- Queue area, where a line of people wait. The verb queue means to form a line, and to wait for services. Queue is also the name of this line
- Queueing theory, the study of waiting lines
- Queue (data structure), in computing, a type of data structure
- Priority queue, an abstract data type in computing
- Mail queue, used by non-commercial SMTP e-mail servers like qmail and Postfix to process incoming and outgoing e-mail into a FIFO buffer, or placing deferred mail into a non-linear waiting buffer
- Another term for the system load of a computer's operating system
- The ACM Queue, a computer magazine
- Queue (hairstyle), a type of ponytail
queue in German: Queue
queue in French: Queue
queue in Russian: Очередь
queue in Japanese: 待ち行列
Indian file, afterpart, afterpiece, array, articulation, bank, braid, brush, bun, buzz, catena, catenation, cauda, caudal appendage, caudation, chain, chain reaction, chaining, chignon, coil, column, concatenation, connection, consecution, continuum, cordon, cortege, course, crocodile, cue, cycle, descent, dock, drone, echelon, endless belt, endless round, fall in, fall into line, fall into rank, fantail, file, filiation, form a line, gamut, get in formation, get in line, gradation, hum, knot, line, line up, lineage, monotone, nexus, order, pendulum, periodicity, picket, pigtail, plait, plenum, powder train, procession, progression, queue up, range, rank, rattail, recurrence, reticulation, retinue, rotation, round, routine, row, run, scale, sequence, series, single file, spectrum, string, stub, succession, swath, tab, tag, tail, tailback, tailpiece, take rank, thread, tier, topknot, trail, trailer, train, twist, wake, windrow